Wow! I think I've lost track of which plan we are on now. It feels like a couple of dozen so far, although I know it hasn't been that many.

I look so cute with my leg warmers!
When we used Rebekah's g-tube last night with breast milk in it, she had the same reaction to it that she has had all along - extreme irritability and fussiness, and tenderness around her belly especially around the g-tube. That little test basically confirmed in Dr. Darby's mind that the g-tube really is the problem.
However, right now Peds Surgery does not believe that Rebekah has a g-tube problem. She has had x-rays and contrast studies done that do not show any problems with the g-tube. They are contending that she has a problem with c. diff. or with her formula or something else. So, Rebekah's doctor's goal is to prove to Peds Surgery that 1) Rebekah has a problem with her g-tube and 2) what the problem is.
This morning, we have come up with yet another process-of-elimination plan. We are going to deflate the balloon in Rebekah's g-tube and proceed with a tube feeding (of breast milk or Ellecare since we know that either one works fine). If Rebekah does fine with the balloon deflated, we are going to assume that the balloon is either pressing on something uncomfortable or blocking the pyloric (the opening from the stomach into the intestines through which food passes). We would then re-inflate the balloon with a small amount of water (3cc's instead of the normal 5cc's) and repeat the test. If we can use the tube with a partially deflated balloon for a week or two, that would be enough to get us by until Rebekah's new (correctly-sized) g-tube comes in. The new size is actually a special order because it is so small, so it is taking 2-3 weeks for it to be made and shipped.
If the deflated balloon still results in the same fussiness and irritability, we are going to try replacing the g-tube altogether with Rebekah's spare tube and see what happens.
These are the two experiments that we are going to try today. If either of them works, then we will be good and will only stay an additional 24 hours to run through an entire feeding schedule to make sure there are no other problems that crop up. If either of the experiments fail, we will be back to the drawing board tomorrow to come up with a new plan.
Rebekah's doctors are determined, though, to get to the bottom of the issue and resolve it no matter how long it takes. I'm just hoping for sooner, rather than later! :)
Nancy





1 comment:
Yay, Rebekah, for playing with those feet and toes! You just gave me a great idea for therapy...try to some fun leg warmers to motivate little ones to play with their feet :) That is a great sign of getting stronger!
Nancy...sounds like you have a great plan in line and a VERY supportive physician. Always good news! I hope the trials work and you can head home soon. If not, I hope her entire team of physicians can find a reason and solution quickly.
I will be checking in for another post with good news! Hang in there and I hope your whole family has a nice weekend...
~Beth, OT
Post a Comment