Sometimes it gets boring just laying in a hospital bed, so a girl's got to come up with something to do! Rebekah loves, loves, loves to play with her feet! Unless she is sleeping, you are guaranteed to find Rebekah playing with her toes, or chewing on them. :)

Rebekah playing with her toes and talking to me!
We have been making good use of our time, and working on some of our therapy goals. Mrs. Beth, we have been banging two objects together, no problem! We also bang them on the crib rails, on our toes, on our head and get them in our mouth! Just wanted to let you know in case you thought Bekah wasn't an overachiever!
Rebekah's hair is growing at an unbelievable rate! In doing some research this week (unrelated to hair growth, by the way) I found that kids with DiGeorge often have copious amounts of hair. I think Rebekah fits that picture!! We will have great fun with bows, pigtails and braids in our future. :)
And, now, for the big surprise.....Rebekah is starting to sit on her own for a few brief seconds!!!!!! She has been doing very well sitting with me just giving a small amount of support, so I let her go to see what she would do. She actually sat for quite a few seconds, but by the time I grabbed the camera she flailed her arms out in a final balance before toppling. I'm so proud of our little fighter!

See, I can do it!!!!!
As far as all things medical, Rebekah is really about the same. She is having a bit more upper respiratory congestion (stuffy nose and sneezing) and more coughing today. Her lungs continue to sound excellent, though, so that is really good news.
I wish I could report that the diarrhea was getting better, but I can't. The GI doctors have run a host of tests, and unfortunately, most of them take days, not hours, for results. At the moment, Rebekah is not getting any breastmilk just in case the cause of her problems is a dairy protein allergy. I am still pumping and freezing the milk for use later. There is one more test that the doctors want to check and that one will be done on Monday. I don't know how long it will take to get the results back. All of these tests are checking for the amount of nutrients that Rebekah is absorbing. That will tell the doctors a lot about what is going on and how to treat it. Please pray for accurate results from all of this testing so that we know where to go from here.

Sitting up with the help of my toys!
That's the extent of the news from here. We're enjoying the beautiful sunshine after so many snowy/rainy/cloudy weekends in the last month or so.
Nancy





1 comment:
WOW! Sooooo impressed! We are going to have to write new goals when I see you next at home! Great job, Rebekah - and mommmy therapist, too :)
Rebekah is really looking so much like her brothers. She always has, but it seems she has matured a lot over the past couple of weeks and really changed! I hate that you are still at the hospital, but hopefully more answers are on the horizon. Enjoy the sunshine today and hope to see you soon!
~Beth, OT
Post a Comment