My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.       2 Corinthians 12:9

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Our new digs!

As promised, new pictures!!! We actually didn't end up getting to hold Rebekah yesterday because some of her IV lines did not get removed until last night. By this morning, though, Rebekah was down to just a "normal" IV in her right foot in case the doctors need to administer fluids or medications through it. Currently this IV is not in use, and the nurse told us if it comes out, the doctors would probably not put another one back in. Rebekah also has a feeding tube in her nose, and today we are getting milk for an hour and a half, then off for an hour and a half. The goal is to get Rebekah's alloted amount of milk in just half an hour. Tomorrow we will be working on the bottle again. :) The rest of the wires you will see in the pictures are just monitors (heart monitor, blood pressure, oxygen, respirations).

First picture off the ventilator after surgery.

First attempt with a bottle!!

Rebekah's occupational therapist (OT) surprised us yesterday and tried a bottle with Rebekah. She drank 5 cc's of milk in about 15 minutes. Now, considering that 5 cc's is only about 1/3 of an ounce, she didn't get a lot, but we thought it was a great first try! Rebekah seemed to love the milk and didn't have any sucking or swallowing problems. Her biggest problem was that she just tired out. We will give it another try tomorrow. She has been sucking on her pacifier quite a bit today, especially when she is getting her feedings through her Ng tube. Tomorrow's feeding tube plan is for 1 hour on and 2 hours off. I have noticed this afternoon that Rebekah is starting to get a little fussy about 15 minutes before we start her next feeding. That is a good sign! She is starting to feel hungry which will help her learn to eat better. :)

Rebekah cuddled up to Mommy


Rebekah and Mommy

It has been a big change to move from PCICU to 7C. On the ICU floor, we were not able to pick Rebekah up, change her or anything else without the nurses' help. Here, we are encouraged to do anything we want to attempt with her! It has been nice to have a "normal" baby and do normal baby things. In the first two hours we were on this floor, Rebekah tested me out. She had two messy diapers, a very wet diaper, an outfit change and a severe case of hiccups! This girl is going to keep me busy!! Since then, she has had another messy diaper and had the hiccups two more times.

Daddy and his little girl

Rebekah's first outfit!!

Oh, yes! Another fun benefit to this floor is that we can finally dress Rebekah!! I'm planning to keep it to onsies for now since there is a good chance something will get spilled on, dripped on, etc, but it was fun to finally dress Rebekah. The little plastic boot type thing on her right foot is just to protect the IV the doctors put in.

First smile

Apparently, Rebekah enjoyed the move to step-down, because she gave me a few of these cute smiles this afternoon. Now, I know they are not really social smiles, but it's fun to see them anyway! :)

Along with our new room, we also have a new address! If you would like to send something, please address it to:

Rebekah Ellis
MUSC Children's Hospital Room #786
169 Ashley Avenue
Charleston, SC 29425
(843) 876-4786

Due to the heart monitors and oxygen in use on the floor, I am not able to use my cell phone in Rebekah's room. However, her room does have a phone that anyone can call to get in touch with me. The number above should dial directly to Rebekah's room. I do have wireless in the room, so I can check email also.

Nancy

P.S. This floor also has my favorite kind of crunchy ice!!! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is obsolutely gorgeous! So glad to read she is doing so well!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, she is so cute, sweet, precious and all other girly words! PTL on her taking some milk by bottle. I am thrilled you are able to stay in her room now.

Denise

Stephanie said...

She's just so perfect!!!!! Love her first outfit and especially her first smile!

Praying for you guys....Hugs!

Hazel Nut said...

It is such a wonderful feeling to move from intensive care to the pediatric floor!

My son Owain is 14 months and has had 2 of 3 open heart surgeries. It looks like Rebekah is recovering well and I hope that she goes home with you soon. I will pray for a quick recovery for her.

Marielle said...

I will be leaving for vacation soon (no internet there) and want to keep on praying for you beatifull girl.
Can you give an list of things you would like me to pray for?
I like to make cards with a picture of the person I am praying for and I will use the beatiful picture of her first smil, just lover it!