My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.       2 Corinthians 12:9

Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday Update

The good news is that I finally got some pictures uploaded and posted.  The bad news is that Blogger put them in this post in random order, and I haven't been able to figure out how to rearrange them.  I know it's supposed to be all click-and-drag friendly, but right now Blogger isn't playing nice.  So enjoy the pictures and I'll try to give some explanations so they all make sense.  :)


Rebekah had a very special gift delivered to her on Tuesday from the Butcher family!  If you don't know them, Annabelle was a very special little girl who spent much of her time in the PCICU at MUSC.  She lived for only a few short months with a very broken heart.  As a way of remembering their sweet Annabelle, her parents began a program called Annabelle Baskets.  The baskets are given to babies who require open heart surgery to repair their heart defects.  Rebekah has been the recipient of two Annabelle Baskets, and this time she received a specially chosen package from Annabelle's family.  Rebecca, thank you so much for the thoughtful gifts you put together for Rebekah.  I know she doesn't look too happy in the picture, but you really found a lot of her favorites!  (The Hello Kitty pencils brought the first smile we'd seen since surgery!)  And the little bear sings "Jesus Loves Me."  It's Rebekah's favorite song!!  :)  So thank you again, Rebecca.  What a special surprise!


Let's see....I think this picture was Thursday night.  It was the first night Rebekah wanted me to hold her.  She still seems to be in a good deal of pain, and I feel like we spend our time chasing her pain instead of staying ahead of it.  We requested doses of Oxycodone, Tylenol and Benadryl (Rebekah has really been itchy around her incision.) before bed tonight, and Rebekah finally seems to be sleeping peacefully.  I asked her nurse to please give the pain meds when they are scheduled through the night instead of as-needed, so hopefully Rebekah will sleep all night!


This afternoon Rebekah felt well enough to go to the playroom.  Here it is called the Atrium.  She had a good time playing with some toys, then she asked to color.  We stayed for about an hour, and she did really well.  She was sitting on her own and playing with some toys, and she even stood and took a couple of steps with Drew's help.


I think this picture was Thursday morning. I love the legwarmers, and so does Rebekah!  She looks so cute in pink and gray!  :)  All of the lines you see in the picture are now out.  Rebekah was moved to the floor this morning, and she still had an IV in her left foot.  (The one in her right foot wouldn't flush last night, so they removed it.)  All day Rebekah has cried any time a nurse has used the IV in her foot.  This evening she got her nausea meds through that IV and just cried and cried and cried.  I asked the nurse if we could just take it out, since Rebekah was getting all of her other meds through her g-tube.  She called the on-call doctor, and he gave the green light.  It was a good think we took it out because it had infiltrated and left the top of her foot swollen!  No wonder the poor girl was in so much pain when anyone messed with it!  The swelling should ease overnight, and by morning she should be able to walk without any pain.


Bekah loves to play with Daddy's hats!  :)  Even though she isn't smiling a lot, we have had periods of play time today.  Rebekah and I play this silly game where we blink at each other and try to copy the blinks.  I know, it's a silly little game, but it entertains her.  :)  Anyway, she started it tonight on her own right before she fell asleep.  I love that she's starting to feel well enough to play a little!


This afternoon after Rebekah played in the atrium, she was taken downstairs for an echo and a chest x-ray.  We're assuming they both were fine since "no news is good news" when it comes to tests and labwork.  Rebekah was such a good girl for her echo, in spite of the fact that she was really tired after playing in the atrium and would rather have gone back to her room for a nap!


We borrowed a small stroller from the unit to take Rebekah to the atrium.  She isn't up to walking yet, and holding her for long periods of time is still uncomfortable for her.  The stroller was the perfect thing!  She enjoyed getting out for a little while.


Mommy and Bekah in the PCICU on Thursday night.  We stayed a little later than we normally do since we had to leave earlier in the evening when Jackson came back from the OR.  I saw Jackson's grandparents in the atrium this afternoon, and they said he is not doing well.  Please, please continue to pray for little Jackson and his family.


Rebekah loved playing with the Weeble Wobbles in the playroom.  She spent a good deal of time putting them on the little ferris wheel, sliding them down the slide, and just having fun.  She reluctantly shared some of them with another little heart friend who was also playing in the atrium.  :)


Mmmmm....strawberry ice cream!  So far it's the only thing Rebekah has eaten since surgery.  I can't say that I blame her! :)   She has also enjoyed some apple juice, but that's about all she has had orally.  We're not pushing her since she is getting her overnight feeds.

Rebekah is settled for the night, and I'm about to get some sleep while I can.  Thank you all for praying for our heart babies.  They are special little people!!

Nancy

2 comments:

Christen La Tour Verroi said...

Nancy we are praying that Rebekah continues to heal and that her pain will subside quickly. Your strength amazes me. She is so precious and such a trooper! We love you all!

Wodzisz Family said...

She looks gorgeous. I know she is in pain, but she is just so cute. Praying for you all to be home and having a Merry Christmas very soon.