My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.       2 Corinthians 12:9

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ride for Mike Family Fun Ride

Today was an absolutely beautiful day for the Family Fun Ride.  After starting around 40 degrees this morning, the temps warmed pleasantly to the upper 60's for the afternoon.  Rebekah was feeling great, and we very much enjoyed the picnic at the conclusion of the Family Fun Ride.  I'm glad we made the decision to just attend the picnic and not the ride; Rebekah was beyond tired by the time we left the picnic.  I don't think she would have done well with the ride and the picnic.

 Jonathan and Rebekah - best buddies!

 Rebekah enjoyed giving high fives, fist bumps and even "giving skin" to all the grown-ups that came to make a fuss over her.  But I have to say, she really loved the nice little playground adjacent to the picnic area.  She and her brothers and some other friends played there for almost three solid hours!

 Enjoying a much-deserved barbecue lunch!

The Pitt Crew came and catered a barbecue lunch for everyone, and let me tell you - it was good!!  They came complete with smoker, beans, coleslaw and of course, the barbecue sauces!  Yummy!

Mike and Janet McCaskill are the parents of Mike McCaskill who Jonathan rides in memory of.  We were so blessed and excited that they came, and Mike even rode in his first half century ride.  Congrats!

So there were actually two rides this morning.  The first was a family-friendly ride up the Swamp Rabbit Trail.  That ride was approximately 11 or so miles.  The second ride was a 50 mile ride partly up the Swamp Rabbit and then on through Greenville County and back around to the park where we had the picnic.  There were eight brave riders who attempted that ride (and let me give credit where it is due - I wouldn't even begin to TRY that ride, so I am in awe of those eight!).

The group experienced falls, injuries, a flat tire and a bike that broke (literally!).  But they all made it to the picnic in spite of the troubles.  We are hoping that all of these incidents are out of the way and Jonathan won't have to deal with any of these issues on Monday!  :)

Rebekah tried on the Low Cadence bike helmet.  Maybe it will fit in a few years.  :)

Jonathan will be leaving Greenville Hospital around 6:00 on Monday morning.  The first leg of his trip will take him to Saluda where he will be joined by David McQuaid.  Interestingly enough, David's sister, Catherine, and I were roommates my senior year of college.  Small world, isn't it?!  (Catherine, if you read this, please email me! I would love to see you when you get back to the States!!)  The second part of the trip will be from Saluda to Orangeburg, and will definitely be the most taxing part of the trip.  The final part of the trip will be from Orangeburg to MUSC.  Jonathan (or his wife, Annette) will be posting updates on his progress at lowcadence.com.  

 I snapped this picture as we were leaving the park.  I think it took Rebekah about 4 seconds to fall asleep!

We met many other people today that were so nice and all came to meet Rebekah and offer their support and prayers for her upcoming surgery.  One other person that I want to mention is Eddie Helton of eddieheltonphotography.com.   Eddie took quite a few pictures of Rebekah and the boys that I hope to be able to share with you in the next couple of weeks.  The really neat thing that I learned today is that Eddie's wife is Dr. Garganta, one of our (Rebekah's) absolutely favorite doctors!!!  Sadly, Dr. Garganta was out of town this weekend so she couldn't come, but we will get together with you soon!!  We missed you!

The excitement of the day proved to be a little too much for these two!

Once again we would like to express our sincere appreciation for all who came out to the ride today.  You all really encouraged and blessed us, and we are so grateful that you spent your Saturday to cheer on our little girl.  Please pray for Jonathan and David on Monday as they ride, and for Annette as she follows them in the car.  I know they would ask you to pray for safety and protection and that God would bless their efforts.

Nancy

No comments: